Tips for Bedford Seniors Towards Leading a Tobacco Free Healthy Lifestyle
Healthy Living for the Bedford / Manchester Senior
Celebrate World No Tobacco Day on May 31 by Supporting Healthy Living for Bedford / Manchester Seniors with These 3 Top Tips
May 31 is World No Tobacco Day, making it the perfect time to commit to living a healthier lifestyle. Family history is one major risk factor for heart disease, but the most important factor in good lungs, heart, and general health is to quit smoking and be tobacco free. To get yourself and your Bedford / Manchester senior loved ones back on the right track, start by heading to your general practitioner for a full check-up. This should be done yearly. Make sure you’re staying healthy year-round, and try these following daily tips.
Tobacco Free Healthy Tip #1: Eat Right
Eating right isn’t just a great idea, it’s a necessity. By putting the right food into your body, you’ll receive the proper nutrients it needs to fight off everyday germs, and helps you stay energized and strong. Try these easy tips for eating right:
- Prep meals ahead of time. Spend some time one day a week putting together nutritious meals for yourself and your family members to grab and heat up.
- Never go shopping on an empty stomach. This will help you avoid buying treats that aren’t on your shopping list.
- Take a walk. After a meal, take your family on a walk together to resist the urge to overeat and to grab a sweet treat. The best dessert will be spending more time together.
- Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks. When choosing something to drink, steer clear of alcohol, sodas, and sports drinks. Remember, water is your friend as it takes up 70% of your body. Keep fully hydrated, and replace any water you may lose from sweat.
Tobacco Free Healthy Tip #2: Exercise Regularly
Exercise helps keep the body strong and helps keep the weight off and the heart healthy. Try these small ways to make healthy decisions every day.
- When you go shopping, park farther away from the door, walking is good for your body.
- Instead of taking the escalator or elevator, take the stairs.
- If you’re at a wedding or even in your own living room, dance to the tunes that are playing. You’ll be surprised how many calories you can burn from busting a move.
- Love to watch TV? Walk or jog in place in your living room or place the TV in front of your treadmill and enjoy your shows while getting in a daily workout.
- Find a partner who will motivate you to work out more often and push you to try exercises that challenge you.
- Try new activities and sports each week to keep your workouts interesting.
- Wear a pedometer to track your steps. Increase your target number each day.
- Always remember to stay hydrated and stretch before and after every workout!
Tobacco Free Healthy Tip #3: Reduce Stress
Taking care of sick or aging San Fernando senior loved ones can be stressful and this stress can cause a strain on the heart, increasing the chances of a heart attack. Make sure you take care of yourself daily to decrease your stress levels.
- Use a to-do list to organize everything you need to do each day. This will help you focus on your most important tasks at work, at home, and with your loved ones.
- Slow down. There is no rush to do everything at once. Make a plan ahead of time for events or appointments that are coming up so everyone is fully prepared.
- Have “me” time. Everyone needs time to themselves. Spend at least 30-60 minutes a day with your phone on mute and doing something that makes you happy. This can be reading a book, painting, meditating, anything that relaxes you.
- Sleep. Sleep. Getting 6-8 hours each night can help reduce stress and depression. Can’t sleep? Exercise can help with this.
Most Importantly Quit Smoking!
Smoking harms you as well as those around you. Cardiovascular disease and cancer are the two top potential high-risk outcomes of a smoking addiction. Did you know smoking, along with alcohol and caffeine, can increase your stress levels? Kick these harmful habits today for a healthier tomorrow. A portion of these tips were taken from the American Heart Association website.
For More Information about BrightStar Care Services In Bedford Please Click Here
BrightStar Care of Bedford / Manchester provides a full continuum of private duty home care services comprised of companionship, personal care, transportation, medication assistance, skilled nursing and more to improve the lives of those living with disabilities.
BrightStar Care is ready to help. Contact us at 603-637-4646