Alzheimer’s Disease is the most common form of dementia. It is a degenerative condition that involves progressive brain cell failure. Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. An estimated 5.4 million Americans of all ages have Alzheimer's disease according to the 2016 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures report from Alzheimer’s Association.
Here are some quick facts from the latest report.
- Every 66 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s disease. By 2050, someone in the United States will develop the disease every 33 seconds.
- Out of the 5.4 million Americans with Alzheimer's, an estimated 5.2 million people are age 65 and older.
- Out of the 5.2 million people aged 65 and older with Alzheimer’s in the United States, 3.3 million are women and 1.9 million are men.
- Alzheimer's is the 5th leading cause of death for those aged 65 and older. Deaths from Alzheimer's disease have increased significantly — 71 percent.
- In 2015, more than 15 million caregivers provided 18.1 billion hours of unpaid care to those with Alzheimer's and other dementias.
- According to the report, in 2016 the cost of caring for those with Alzheimer's and other dementias is estimated to be $236 billion.
Here is a video by the Alzheimer’s Association on the latest stats.
To download the full 2016 Alzheimer’s Association Facts and Figures report, please visit alz.org/facts.
Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care
BrightStar Care® is your solution for professional care for early, middle, and late-stage dementia care. Our mission is to provide your loved one living with Alzheimer’s or Dementia the individualized care and support they need to:
- Live with Dignity and Purpose safely and securely in their own home
- Enjoy Optimal Health and emotional well-being
- Maintain Connections to the people, places, things, and memories that matter most to them
We call this specialized approach “BrightStar Connections”
BrightStar Connections is the Only In-Home Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care Program of its Kind, and truly is A Higher Standard of Memory Care. Learn more about the BrightStar Care person-centered approach to Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care.