According to a 2010 AARP study, 75 percent of elderly adults wish to remain at home for as long as possible. However, activities of daily living do become riskier as we age. Fortunately, BrightStar Care can provide senior care services -- such as personal care and companion care – right in your Englewood home.
Our senior helpers are well versed in home safety and will continually assess for hazards -- and either remove them or notify you of repairs or improvements that will increase the level of safety for your loved one.
BrightStar Care offers these essential tips for senior safety in the home:
In the Bathroom
- Lower the water heater temperature to 120 degrees to prevent scalding.
- Install sturdy grab bars in the bath or shower and next to the toilet.
- Apply no-slip strips to the tub and shower floor, and replace old bath mats with nonslip versions.
- Invest in a shower chair or transfer bench to make bathing and showering easier and less hazardous.
- Keep a night light on in the bathroom.
In the Kitchen
- Keep all frequently used items within easy reach of your loved one, with heavy items located at waist height.
- Keep a small fire extinguisher in the kitchen and show your loved one how to use it.
- Mark the ON and OFF positions of appliances boldly in red.
- Check expiration dates on food.
- Warn your loved one against wearing long, loose clothing while cooking.
On the Stairs
- Install sturdy rails on both sides of the stairs, extending beyond the top and bottom step.
- Keep the stairway brightly lit, and make sure there's a switch at the top and bottom.
- Apply a nonslip surface to the stairs.
In the Entire House
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every floor, with one right next to your loved one's bedroom. Replace the batteries every year.
- Remove area rugs or secure them firmly to the floor.
- Keep cords and other items away from traffic areas.
- Install remote light switches or a clapping device.
- Remove raised thresholds in doorways.
Learn more about BrightStar Care services in Englewood … call us today at (303) 300-6666.