The VA has finally released their official 2014 increases for Non-Service Connected Pension; better known as Base Pension, Housebound and Aid and Attendance.
Our friends at Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel have prepared this information
which includes the Qualifying Criteria as well as the 2014 maximum figures for Aid and Attendance.
• Veteran must be over the age of 65 and/or unemployable.
• UN-remarried surviving spouse has no age requirement. (A surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran for at least one year, never divorced and has never remarried).
Qualifying Military Service
• Must have an honorable or general discharge (any discharge other than dishonorable).
• Must have served 90 days of active duty with at least one day during a period of war.
Cost of Care and Monthly Income
• The VA has an income test; certain medical expenses can be deducted from income to help qualify. Room and board is not a deduction.
• VA-accredited attorney with Chambliss, Dana Perry, will assist in this area.
Net Worth and Liquid Assets
• The VA’s asset and net worth limit can vary depending on factors like age, life expectancy, medical expenses, etc. Please consult us for a personal assessment.
For the maximum Pension amount of Aid and Attendance:
• Must have a medical condition or medical necessity requiring the applicant to live in an assisted or protected environment while receiving custodial care.
• Doctor is able to document this need with a VA Physician’s Report.
Periods of War
WWI 04/06/1917 - 11/11/1918
WWII 12/07/1941 - 12/31/1946
Korea 06/27/1950 - 01/31/1955
Vietnam 08/05/1964 - 05/07/1975
Gulf War 08/02/1990 - Date TBD
Married Veteran $2,085 per month $25,022 annually
Single Veteran $1,759 per month $21,107 annually
Surviving Spouse $1,130 per month $13,562 annually
2014 Maximum VA Pension / Aid and Attendance Benefit Amounts
Non-service connected pension benefits have 3 levels:
Base Pension, Housebound and Aid and Attendance.
VA Non-Service Connected Pension Benefit
Chart does not reflect Base Pension and Housebound benefit amounts. Consult the attorney.
If you would like to learn more about the VA Aid and Attendance Pension, please feel free to call BrightStar Care of Chattanooga at 423.296.6640 or Sally Brewer at Chambliss, Bahner
& Stophel at 423.321.0357.