It is very common to experience changes in our senses as we get older. While the most noticeable occur with our vision and hearing, it is also possible to notice changes in touch, taste or smell. Changing senses affect how we go about our daily lives, how we interact with others and how we participate in daily activities. Home care services from BrightStar Care Delray Beach help seniors face sensory changes so they can remain comfortably and safely at home.
The Risks Associated with Sensory Changes
Seniors experiencing sensory changes face many challenges that could put them at risk of illness or injury. A decrease in vision could cause an individual to trip over clutter left in the walkway, misread expiration dates on spoiled food or lose the ability to drive. Seniors with hearing loss may find that holding a conversation becomes difficult – sometimes causing embarrassment and social withdrawal.
Smell and taste help detect harmful situations such as smoke, a gas leak, or spoiled food, and a loss of those senses could lead to an accident or serious illness such as food poisoning. Those experiencing a decreased sense of touch increase their risk of injury such as burns or non-healing wounds.
Companion Care Services Improve Home Safety
Companion care services offered by BrightStar Care of Delray Beach help keep seniors safe at home. Our home caregivers offer:
- Light housekeeping and laundry assistance
- Meal preparation services to ensure kitchen safety as well as proper nutrition and hydration.
- Transportation services offer safe and reliable transit to doctors’ appointments, errands or meetings with friends.
- Companionship to prevent loneliness and boredom
- Assistance with personal care tasks such as bathing and toileting. The bathroom is often the riskiest room in the home with wet tile surfaces and awkward fixtures.
If you have an elderly family member that is showing signs of sensory loss and you are concerned for their safety, count on the senior home care solutions from BrightStar Care Delray Beach for comfort, companionship and quality care.