Fall Prevention Tips for Las Vegas Seniors
Tips Regarding Fall Prevention for Las Vegas Seniors
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of every five falls results in a serious injury, such as a bone fracture or head injury. We’re all susceptible to falls, but older Las Vegas senior adults in particular need to take special care. This is because as we age, mobility, strength, and sensory faculties can change. Help your parent or grandparent stay safe at home with the fall prevention tips below. You’ll be just in time for Fall Prevention Awareness Week, which coincides with the first week of fall (September 22-28).
Lessen Risks Around the Home
There’s no better place to start applying fall prevention tips than around the house. Reports show that more than 75% of accident-related injuries occur in the home. Take a look around your Las Vegas senior parent’s home, identify fall risks, and make changes to reduce them. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Clear pathways of electrical cords, furniture, and other clutter.
- Put regularly used items within easy reach, i.e. at waist or counter level.
- Put night lights in bathrooms and on stairs.
- Secure floor coverings with non-slip pads.
- Install hand rails, grab bars, and tub mats in the bathroom.
For even more ideas to fall-proof your home, read our blog post for National Safety Month.
Make Self-Care a Priority
Fall safety requires more than just minimizing external risks. Monitoring one’s health and practicing good self-care will help lessen physical vulnerabilities that can increase the chance of fall. Help your Las Vegas senior parent to do the following:
- Make regular appointments to check hearing and vision and wear comfortable hearing aids and eyeglasses with an adequate prescription.
- Properly take medications (for tips, read our Medication Management blog post).
- Exercise safely and moderately—mobilizing joints increases overall body function, lessening the risk of falls.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water, especially in the summer when seniors are at risk for heat-related illness.
Ask for Help
For some older Las Vegas senior adults, accepting help and their changing needs can present an emotional challenge. Support your parent in getting all the help he or she needs by encouraging him or her to see how it will actually enable greater freedom. Help can come in many different forms:
- Assistive devices, such as a cane or walker
- Sturdy, orthopedic shoes
- A medical alert device
- An in-home caregiver
BrightStar Care of W. Central Las Vegas proudly provides Home Care and Support for Seniors, including 24 hour in home care, and support in independent and assisted living communities as well as hospitals and rehabs.
We provide all levels of home care from companion services to Skilled Nursing.
We provide Medical Staffing, Home Care, In-Home Skilled Nursing, In-Home Physical and Occupational Therapy for pediatric, adult and geriatric patients, Companion and Personal Care for Elderly with Alzheimer’s or Dementia. We also provide Home Child Care, Sitter and Nanny services for children and support for new mothers.
We accept most Long Term Care Insurance benefits, provide Hospice support, CNA, Caregiver, RN, LPN, RN Supervision, Compassionate Care, and Compatibility Guarantees.
providing care for developmentally disabled and individuals of all ages with a mental health and/or behavioral health diagnosis.
Other services include safe discharge and transportation from the hospital or rehab facility, Post Op care both short and long term, Pre Operation and preparation help and assistance, client monitoring for out of town family members.
Our service area covers Clark County including Las Vegas, Summerlin, The Lakes, Henderson, Green Valley and North Las Vegas.