More and more elderly adults are choosing to age at home. According to a recent AARP study, a full 75 percent of adults over the age of 65 wish to remain in their homes. However, the home can be a hazardous place for an aging adult. Minor falls can produce serious injuries, and only 22 percent of elderly adults who are hospitalized for falls (roughly 700,000 every year) are able to continue living on their own upon release.
BrightStar Care Can Help!
BrightStar Care in Conway, Arkansas wants to help your aging loved one live at home for as long as possible. We provide in-home senior care services, and our companion care and personal care assistants provide daily hygiene assistance or home support services.
We keep seniors active and productive by providing transportation services to appointments and engagements, and, perhaps most importantly, continually assessing the home for hazards.
Our caregivers keep your loved one safe at home, and we are always happy to offer advice about home improvements that will help ensure continued safety. These are a few of the most important recommended projects:
- Install sturdy grab bars in the shower, tub, and near the toilet.
- Provide her with a shower chair or bath bench to help her shower and bathe safely.
- Lower the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees to prevent accidental scalding in the event of a fall in the bath or shower.
- Install sturdy handrails on both sides of the stairway. The rails should extend well beyond the first and last step.
- Make sure the stairway is well-lit, and install a light switch at both the top and bottom of the stairway.
- Keep frequently used items in a place that's easily accessible without undue stretching, bending or standing on a stool. Heavier items should be stored at waist height.
- Remove area rugs or secure them firmly to the floor with double-sided tape.
- Keep excess clutter, furniture and cords far away from the traffic lanes throughout the house.
- Install a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector on every floor in the house, with one of each right outside the main bedroom door. Replace the batteries and test each alarm every year.
For more information about BrightStar Care in Conway,
contact us today at (501) 450-7827.