Alzheimer's Disease Can Create Challenging Home Senior Safety Concerns
NW Pittsburgh Seniors Prioritize Home Safety For Alzheimer’s Seniors
Top Tips to Prevent Home Injuries for Seniors with Alzheimer’s
Falls are the most common cause of injuries among senior citizens and the top reason for a hospital admission for trauma. One-third of people aged 65 and over will fall at least once each year. Falls can lead to traumatic brain injury, hospitalizations and concussions, and bone fractures.
Tips to help prevent home injuries for seniors with Alzheimer’s, Brain Disorders and Dementia:
- Simplify your home. Too much furniture can make it hard to move around freely.
- Get rid of clutter, such as piles of papers and magazines
- Have a sturdy handrail on stairways
- Put carpet on stairs, or mark the edges of steps with brightly colored tape so the person can see them more easily.
- Put a gate across the stairs if the person has balance problems
- Remove small throw rugs, and use rugs with non-skid backing
- Make sure cords to electrical outlets are out of the way or tacked to baseboards
- Clean spills immediately
- Install safety handles in bathrooms
- Create memory tag or reminding notes for things that patients forget as their disorders progress.
- Tie shoes well and make sure shoes and slippers have good traction
- Help the person move around safely with slip-on shoes to prevent loose clothing or obstacles on the body and around the home.
- Make sure the person with Alzheimer’s has good floor traction for walking, overhead hanging pots and low entry showers and doors should be free from clutter to prevent falls and forgetful head bumps.
BrightStar Care can help families with caregiving for loved ones living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. To learn about our services, read about our In-Home Senior Care for Alzheimer's & Dementia Care in NW Pittsburgh. Source: https://www.brightstarcare.com/nw-pittsburgh/home-care/alzheimers-dementia-services
BrightStar Care of NW Pittsburgh can help with nutritious meal preparation, home ready awareness, and many other in home care services. To name a few, BrightStar Care of NW Pittsburgh provides a full continuum of services comprised of companionship, personal care, transportation, and more to improve clients’ health and quality of life. To learn more about our RN Led local team of caregivers, care professionals, and home health care support for NW Pittsburgh families and businesses – Click Here