Happy Fall Means A Healthy Immune System
As the weather cools down, and flu season picks up, remember to take care of yourselves! As caregivers, with COVID Delta variant and the flu season picking up, it’s more important than ever to take great care of your own health, so you can be the very best caregivers!
Below are 6 proven ways that you can boost your immune system:
1. Drink Plenty of Fluids – Water is always the best choice. You should drink a full glass of water first thing in the morning, and for men, about 3.7 liters throughout the day, and for women about 2.7 liters. Tea and other clear fluids can count towards the water, but not soda or caffeinated beverages or juice.
2. Exercise Regularly – even if you can only fit in 20 minutes a day, a walk and/or some stretching, something is better than nothing!
3. Stress Less – Chronic stress can lead to high blood pressure and heart disease. It can lead to colds and other common infections. Stress activates our fight or flight response system. This is good sometimes, but not when it becomes a regular reaction to work or when we aren’t getting enough sleep, etc.
4. Get a good Night’s Sleep – Tips for getting a good night sleep include, setting a schedule, being mindful of the temperature and distractions such as TV and lights, keeping a journal by your bed for thoughts that come up, watching caffeine, alcohol and water intake within 4 hours of bedtime.
5. Eat Foods with Probiotics – Our bodies are made up of 90% bacteria. It’s what is referred to as the microbiome. Good bacteria ensure that the brain, immune system and digestion among other things function properly. 70% of your immune system comes from the bacteria in your gut and probiotics can help balance that out, especially when so many of us don’t get all we need from our diet. Which brings me to the last point…
6. Eat a Well-Balanced Diet – Eating the right foods can help control body weight, fight off disease, help to give you more energy, help you sleep better, and just all around a better quality of life.
Stay Happy and Healthy this holiday season by following the tips on boosting your immune system!
- Kelly Angam,
BrightStar Care of Salt Lake City
BrightStar Care of Salt Lake City provides hourly to 24/7 home health care and medical staffing services.
BrightStar's Professional Care Team, led by a Registered Nurse Director of Nursing, delivers expert, compassionate, and personal home care, including COVID-19 care, employee screening, and testing for businesses and clients. Our professional care experts are ready to serve 24/7. RN oversight ensures the right care from the right people. We proudly provide home health care and support for seniors to children, including 24-hour skilled nursing and support in senior independent and assisted living communities. We proudly serve Mountainside, Sandy Draper, Midvale, Salt Lake City, Park City, South Salt Lake, Millcreek, Holladay, Ogden, Orem/Provo, and Murray areas in UT.