Learn About All of Your Home Care Options
At BrightStar Care in Acworth, we recognize that many elderly do not get enough fluids throughout the day – whether because of forgetfulness or the inability to get to the grocery store. Regardless of the reason, not getting enough fluids often leads to dehydration, which is a serious risk for many. In-home care services, which offer comfort and safety, help prevent dehydration and encourage balanced nutrition.
As the body ages, it sometimes becomes more difficult to recognize thirst. Illness, forgetfulness and medication also influence hydration. Common signs include:
- Weakness and fatigue
- Dry mouth and loss of appetite
- Reduction in urine
- Sleepiness, headache and irritability
- Dizziness and loss of balance
Why is hydration so important?
The body is more than 50% water, and proper hydration allows the body to function properly. A home caregiver helps maintain hydration by:
- Encouraging fluid intake by offering small amounts throughout the day.
- Suggesting reduced caffeine intake (such as coffee and Coca-Cola).
- Suggesting a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that have high water content.
- Ensuring favorite beverages are readily accessible.
In addition to monitoring fluid intake and a balanced diet through meal preparation services, a home companion offers:
- Help with light housekeeping and laundry
- Assistance with shopping or errands
- Companionship for light exercise or engaging activities such as learning new hobbies, watching old movies, or sorting through photos
Companion care services from BrightStar Care Acworth also include transportation services for doctor’s appointment, trips to the grocery store or other errands.
For more information about companion care services
from BrightStar Care Acworth, call (678) 290-7807.