- Flavor foods with garlic, flavored vinegars, and herbs, such as rosemary or thyme.
- Keep salt shakers off the table. This will prevent guests from automatically sprinkling it on.
- Check with your doctor before feeding your parent a salt substitute, such as potassium chloride. These can have negative effects on aging kidneys.
- If using canned beans or vegetables, choose salt-free varieties, or rinse generously.
- When buying a store-bought turkey, read the label carefully to be sure it hasn’t been injected with saltwater to create plumpness.
- Bake with unsalted butter.
- Think twice before setting out trays of salted nuts, olives, or processed deli meats. These contain a lot of salt, and it’s easy to lose track of servings.
Tips to Help Your Parent Stick to a Low-Fat Diet
- Serve your parent white meat from the turkey. It contains less fat than dark.
- Trim skin off poultry.
- Make gravy with low-salt broth, skim milk, and flour.
- Instead of mashed potatoes, give mom or dad a baked potato. These are full of magnesium and potassium, which can help lower blood pressure.
- Replace half the called-for fats and oils in baking recipes with unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or sweet potato puree.
- When a recipe calls for dairy, go for the low-fat varieties.
Tips to Help Your Parent Stick to a Low-Sugar Diet
- Watch portions of cranberry based recipes, which can contain a surprising amount of sugar.
- Cut back on sugar in recipes and supplement with cinnamon, vanilla, citrus, or nutmeg.
- Don’t just skip dessert—this may make mom or dad feel left out. Many specialty bakeries make sugar-free desserts, or you can .
- Satisfy a sweet tooth with sugar-free Jell-O, or unsweetened applesauce warmed and sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- If serving post-meal coffee or tea, leave out the sugar and provide guests with a cinnamon stick or lemon wedge instead.
- Choose sauces and salad dressings with no added sugars.
- When baking, swap out half the required sugar for pureed bananas or pears.
BrightStar Care of Cherokee County
Services Acworth, Cherokee, Bartow, and Pickens counties
2205 Riverstone Blvd, Ste 207, Canton, GA 30114 | 770-704-0272 | f: 470-480-5643
- A Higher Standard of Home Care
- Local Careers in Acworth, Cherokee, Bartow, and Pickens Counties
- Employee Benefits