As we age, our perception of the world naturally changes. What didn’t trouble us in our youth may seem to present insurmountable obstacles as we age. Providing home care in Orlando for an elderly loved one requires that you become familiarized with some of the triggers that can exacerbate the anxiety and fears that he or she may be experiencing.
Identifying the sources of anxiety will help you to create solutions to reduce stress.
BrightStar Care shares some of the major worries reported by our elderly clients below:
- Having to leave my home. This is a huge concern for many as they age.
Considering a move from the safety and familiarity of the home they’ve lived in for many years is a scary proposition that many feel signifies the end of life as they’ve known it. Caregivers must determine the pros and cons of their elderly loved one being relocated against perhaps hiring in-home assistance.
- I don’t want to be a burden to anyone. “If I become ill or unable to care for myself, I absolutely do not want to be a burden to my children or other family members” is a sincere worry for many of the aging population. They have been independent and proud for a lifetime and find it difficult to ask for help. Speaking with your loved one and reassuring them that it isn’t a burden for you to lend a hand is what families are all about. If the care required is more substantial then the caregiver can provide, then decisions must be made about how to accomplish what needs to be done.
- I don’t know who to trust. With so many scams being perpetrated against the elderly, it is a true worry for most elders living on their own who are trying to protect their property and assets. It’s important for family members, friends, and other involved caregivers to share that they are available for consultation and advice before any contracts are signed or funds are transferred. Knowing there is help available may help them from falling victim to elder abuse.
- I’m going to outlive my finances. This may be the biggest worry of all as our population’s life expectancy has increased. The economy destroyed retirement savings, Social Security is forever in question, healthcare costs rise exponentially, and the cost of living is high. The fear is very real and not unwarranted. It’s very important to either assist or hire professional assistance for your loved one with solid financial planning.
- I will have no purpose in life, and I’ll be lonely. Retirement is a happy and scary milestone for most seniors. For some, it signifies the end of a productive and purposeful period of life. The job is done, the kids are grown, and they are left wondering if anything worthwhile is left to achieve. Some begin to feel isolated and lonely. Caregivers need to help their elderly loved ones find opportunities to remain engaged and happy.
Almost all seniors experience these worries. As a caregiver, it’s your responsibility to help assuage these fears and provide the best home care in Orlando that you can. That’s where BrightStar Care shines! Contact us to learn more about our in-home evaluation and suggestions for keeping your elderly loved one engaged and enjoying a great quality of life!
Feel free to call us at 407-877-0720 to discuss your concerns.