Music Therapy and Alzheimer’s
Music Helps Dementia Patients Recall Memories and Emotions, provides engagement and socialization, stabilizes mood and allows the Alzheimer’s patient and caregiver to share a special bond and closeness. Music appreciation and aptitude are the last remaining abilities in patients with Alzheimer’s. Using music is a way to reach the patient even after all other abilities are gone.
FACT: One of the Only Activities That Activates, Stimulates and Uses the Entire Brain IS Music
What is Music Therapy?
Music Therapy is a clinical and evidence-based use of music to elicit individual goals within a therapeutic relationship. It is administered by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy training program. Music therapy interventions is designed to promote wellness, alleviate stress and pain, enhance memory, improve communication, and provide unique opportunities for interaction.
Music therapy provides opportunities for:
- Memory recall which contributes to reminiscence and satisfaction with life
- Positive changes in mood and emotional states
- Awareness of self and environment which accompanies increased attention to music
- Anxiety and stress reduction for older adult and caregiver
- Non-pharmacological management of pain and discomfort
- Stimulation which provokes interest even when no other approach is effective
- Social interaction with caregivers and families
BrightStar Care of Delray Beach has partnered with Palm Beach Music Therapy Institute to provide weekly Music Therapy group sessions within Alzheimer’s communities in Boca Raton, Delray Beach and Boynton Beach. We are also proud to sponsor Palm Beach Music Therapy Institute (PBMTI) and their weekly radio show Connections with Bree Beynon.As well as from its home base in Delray Beach, BrightStar Care provides home care services in Boynton Beach. BrightStar Care provides senior care Services in Boca Raton.