Beautiful beaches and ocean fun are trademarks of South Florida, but so are heat and humidity. Summer and the rainy season bring on afternoon thunderstorms – and occasionally – there are severe tropical weather threats to address. For seniors, preparations are a necessity to safety, and BrightStar Care in Boca Raton provides senior care services – not just during the summer, but all year long.
Senior home care comes in many varieties, from senior companionship to personal hygiene help, dementia home care and skilled nursing services. Companion caregivers are invaluable to aging adults who need extra help at home for home support services such as household tasks and meal preparations. A companion caregiver can also help with summer weather safety and preparations.
Weather emergencies can happen at any time, and it is wise to be prepared. A senior caregiver can help you organize supplies and be ready for whatever summer throws in your direction. If a hurricane or tropical storm has been forecast, consider these weather preparation tips:
- Stock up on flashlights and batteries in case the power goes out.
- Purchase supplies of bottled water and non-perishable food. (Be sure to stock up on pet food if needed, too!)
- Compile a list of emergency contact numbers, and designate someone you can call to check-in with once bad weather has passed.
- Designate a safe room in your house where you can shelter if tornado warnings are posted. The area should be an interior room away from windows.
- Purchase a weather radio to stay informed of weather warnings, particularly at night. (Weather radios are often distributed, free of charge, by local television stations or law enforcement agencies.)
- If you have a cellphone but are unsure how to use it, ask your home companion for a quick lesson, especially on how to send text messages. Cell phones often still communicate when telephone lines or electricity is down, so it’s important to know how to send text messages).
- Be sure to have enough of your prescription medications, hearing aid batteries or incontinence supplies on hand.
Even during good weather, a companion care provider from BrightStar Care in Boca Raton will be on hand to offer enjoyable activities or help with light housekeeping, meal preparations or transportation services.
Your comfort and safety are important to use, and we’ll be there to help – no matter the time of year. At BrightStar Care in Boca Raton, we’re just a phone call away.