Spring has sprung, and the sunshine and warmer weather are good reasons to get outside for some exercise. The benefits of light exercise are numerous, especially as we age. BrightStar Care of Gastonia offers a few of the benefits of exercise each day:
- Strengthens your heart to help prevent heart disease
- Lowers your blood pressure
- Improves flexibility and balance to help prevent falls -- and reduces the severity of injuries sustained in falls
- Increases your range of motion to help you reach and bend and alleviate some of the little aches and pains that come with aging
- Increases and maintains bone density to help prevent osteoporosis and broken bones
- Strengthens your joints
- Improves the quality of your sleep
- Improve your mood and overall sense of wellbeing
- Reduce your level of stress
- Improve cognitive function, including memory and thinking skills
How Much Exercise Do You Need?
Physicians and home caregivers recommend at least 20-30 minutes of light to moderate exercise each week. To make it easier, you can break up your exercise routine into 10-minute segments. A 10-minute walk in the morning, afternoon and evening will not only get you out into the fresh air, it will also take care of your exercise requirements. On rainy days you can walk around the mall.
BrightStar Care of Gastonia Can Help!
If you have concerns about exercising due to pain or mobility issues, or if you just want some company during your daily exercise, BrightStar Care of Gastonia offers companion care providers who can safely assist and motivate you.
Senior companions will help exercise your memory, as well. A home care companion will engage you in stimulating activities such as puzzles, games or favorite hobbies. Our elder care providers also offer transportation services to social outings, the grocery store or doctor’s appointments.
Senior care providers can also assist with home support services such as light household chores and meal preparation services.
For seniors who are confined to a wheelchair or bed, a personal care provider can assist with changing position, stretching and range of motion exercise to avoid stiffness, muscle weakness and pressure wounds (also known as bed sores).
For more information about BrightStar Care of Gastonia,
contact us today at (704) 691-0280.