Winter is such a joyful time for people of all ages! Although the holidays, the parties and the decor make up for one cheery season, it can still be a difficult time for our seniors.
It is very important to pay extra attention to our elders during this time, especially if a loved one or pet has passed away or if your senior spends this season alone. Harsh and cold weather can keep our seniors indoors making it possible for isolation, loneliness and even depression. Remember to include your elders in family get-togethers and parties to ensure their holidays are bright too.
Holiday Activities For Seniors
Make sure your elders have a merry time this winter by organizing and attending activities the entire family can enjoy. Here are 15 fun activities for you and your seniors to do this season:
- Make a Gingerbread House: Building a gingerbread house is a great way to start the holidays off right. Munching on the yummy gumdrops, peppermint candy canes and other candies only add to this activity.
- Donate a Shoebox Gift: Many charities set up the perfect way to give back during the holidays, and your seniors will love the experience. Help a child in need receive the ultimate Christmas gift by packing a shoebox full of goodies and sending it to an organization like Samaritan's Purse.
- Send Greeting Cards: Help your seniors stay in touch with family and friends this season by sending the annual holiday greeting cards. Help keep track of all the correct addresses to ensure this activity runs smoothly for your elders.
- Create Hand-made Ornaments: There are so many DIY ornament kits out there. Pick one up and get the family together for some ornament-making fun.
- Set Up a Christmas Tree: Going through all of the ornaments over the years will bring back past Christmas memories. Christmas tree decorating brings together the kids and your seniors for a good, heartwarming time.
- Attend a Holiday Concert or Play: Catch a local show or attend one of your children's school's performances with your seniors. Enjoy live holiday music and stories for an incredible experience.
- Make an Old Recipe: Grab your seniors' old cookbooks and recipes to make a home-cooked meal that they'll remember from years past.
- Share Holiday Traditions: Reminiscing on past holidays is always a good time. Let your seniors share their memories and traditions they had when they grew up and consider bringing them back this Christmas.
- Have a Cookie-Decorating Competition: Buy all the sprinkles and icing flavors you can and get the family together for some friendly competition. Let grandma or grandpa be the judge or have them join in on this delectable game.
- Create a Family Scrapbook: Print some family photos and put together a scrapbook with your seniors. They will adore looking at photos and bringing back many happy memories, and scrapbooks make for a great craft.
- Go Holiday Shopping: Seniors still like to shop! Grab the book of coupons and drive your senior to the nearest mall for some shopping. Let your senior help pick out the gifts for the kids, and get that wish list completed.
- Sing Some Christmas Carols: Christmas music truly makes this season merry and bright. Turn the radio to the holiday station, or take a crack at some carols yourself.
- Visit a Holiday Light Display: Many towns and cities set up special Christmas light displays available for viewing either by foot or by car. They usually run right after Thanksgiving and extend past Christmas Day.
- Decorate a Wreath: This is a fun craft that is simple to do. Let your seniors pick out several Christmas wreath ornaments and ribbon to create a lasting decoration.
- Christmas Gift Wrapping: Consider pairing up with your seniors for this holiday ritual when wrapping your own family's gifts or when your seniors need help with their own gifts.
The holiday season is prime time for family time, but the hectic party planning and gift shopping can sometimes get in the way of what really matters. Remember to include the whole family in on the celebrations and keep your seniors close during this time.
If your loved ones are in need of a little extra care this holiday season, the medical staff and caregivers at Brightstar Care are available to help. In-home care is possible and affordable with Brightstar, and they will make sure your elders are never alone during the joyful season. Call today.