Individuals living with physical disabilities or special needs have unique care requirements, and in many cases, mobility is limited and some level of home care is required. At BrightStar Care® of South Minneapolis Metro, we provide a personalized approach to care, case management, and disability assistance for our clients.
Quality Home Care
BrightStar Care care professionals are trained to help those with disabilities and special needs such as Spina Bifida, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Cerebral Palsy and spinal cord injuries, giving them the support they need to live as independently as possible. From disability aids and accessible transportation to personal care, our advanced and specialized expertise in this area ensures our clients’ safety, and empowers you and your family to get the most out of life.
Our disability care services include:
Mobility issues can lead to pressure sores, debecutis ulcers and, in severe cases, the need for wound care. BrightStar Care caregivers are trained to provide pressure relief every 15 minutes for wheelchair-bound patients, and to turn bed-bound patients every two hours to prevent complications caused by prolonged immobility. Our CNAs are also trained in the transfer of patients using Hoyer lifts and slide boards, and use the proper techniques to help patients avoid injuries and falls during transport.
Care for Special Needs Children
Babies, infants and children living with disabilities or special needs have unique care requirements. BrightStar Care trained professionals specialize in administering in-home pediatric care and can provide comprehensive case management and support for children with special needs.
Special Event and Respite Care
Whether you need assistance caring for your loved one during a wedding or holiday celebration, BrightStar Care care professionals can provide help on a short-term basis so you and your family can make time for a vacation or receive additional support during a special event.
Travel and transportation can be challenging for individuals with disabilities and special needs. BrightStar Care provides travel companion care to help make travel accessible for people with special needs, enabling them to experience more in life.
Medical Procedure Transportation
BrightStar Care care professionals are available to help those who need assistance with a scheduled medical procedure or doctor’s appointment. Your compassionate care professional will:
- Pick you up at home and taking you to the hospital or doctor’s office.
- Wait until the procedure is completed and signing you out.
- Safely transport you home.
- If needed, stop at a pharmacy, grocery store, or restaurant if you need prescription, medical supplies, groceries, or food.
- Make sure you are safely settled in your home after your procedure.
- We can stay with you in your home after the procedure and assist with meal preparation, bathing, toileting, laundry, light cleaning, and medication reminders.
- A Registered Nurse (RN) can visit after you are home and change your dressings, perform wound care or infection monitoring.
- An RN patient advocate can help coordinate care, treatment, and communicate between you, your family and healthcare providers. We can attend appointments with you and help you understand options and make the best possible health care decision.
BrightStar Care is ready to help. For more information about Disability and Special Needs Care Services in South Minneapolis Metro, contact your local BrightStar Care office at (952) 300-3698.