Those living with Alzheimer’s disease face many physical and emotional challenges, including eating for proper nutrition and hydration. Although Alzheimer’s is a progressive neurological condition that affects memory and behavior, many Alzheimer’s patients also have no appetite – or they simply forget to eat. As a family caregiver, you may be frustrated as you attempt to provide balanced meals that your loved refuses to eat. Alzheimer’s home care services from BrightStar Care in Boca Raton understands the delicate nature of patients with Alzheimer’s, and our caregivers are ready to step in and help with assistance and suggestions for a positive mealtime.
Many with Alzheimer’s disease lose their appetite due to medications or other underlying conditions. An Alzheimer’s care provider from BrightStar Care offers meal preparation services to assist with preparing and feeding meals in smaller portions throughout the day.
- A home caregiver will prompt daily intake of water and fluids as much as possible.
- To avoid confusion and agitation, an Alzheimer’s care provider ensures that mealtimes are as quiet and free from distraction as possible.
- A home care provider also helps establish a structured daily routine for meals and other activities, important for Alzheimer’s patients.
- A caregiver will help with feeding, as needed, encouraging use of easy-grip utensils.
- To aid in swallowing, an Alzheimer’s home caregiver will cut, puree or mash food into small bites.
In addition to assistance with mealtimes, dementia care providers assist with activities of daily living that may have become difficult or forgotten – essential tasks such as bathing, grooming, dressing and toileting. Light activities, as your loved one is able, are encouraged. Singing, memory games, sorting buttons, coloring – all can become part of the daily routine. Safety is our number one concern, so our caregivers ensure that home hazards are removed (such as fall hazards), doors remained locked to prevent wandering and electrical/gas appliances are never left on. If someone you love is experiencing the progressive stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia, let us help. Consider engaging experienced caregivers from BrightStar Care in Boca Raton.