How to Determine if a Person with Alzheimer’s is Safe to Be Alone at Home
At a certain point if the life of a loved one who has Alzheimer’s, you will have to carefully evaluate whether they are safe to be home alone. Determine the answers to the following questions:
Does the person with Alzheimer’s:
- Become confused or unpredictable under stress?
- Recognize a dangerous situation, such as fire?
- Know how to use the phone in an emergency?
- Know how to get help?
- Stay within the home?
- Wander or become disoriented?
- Show signs of agitation, depression, or withdrawal when left alone for a period of time?
- Attempt to pursue former interests or hobbies that might now need supervision, such as cooking or gardening?
For more home safety tips, visit the Home Safety Checklist for Alzheimer's Disease.