Through our specialized memory care program, BrightStar Connections, we are able to truly provide A Higher Standard of care and support to our clients living with Alzheimer's or dementia. In addition to taking great care of our clients living with Alzheimer's or dementia, it's important to us to extend a hand to their families as well to let them know they don't have to take this journey alone. One of the many ways we support families is by providing information, answering their questions and even in offering helpful tips.
Since November is National Alzheimer's Disease Awareness Month, we have even more reason to share some thoughtful tips for communicating with someone with Alzheimer's or dementia:
- Never argue, instead agree
- Never reason, instead divert
- Never shame, instead distract
- Never lecture, instead reassure
- Never say "remember," instead reminisce
- Never say "I told you," instead repeat/regroup
- Never say "You can't," instead do what they can
- Never command/demand, instead ask/model
- Never condescend, instead encourage
- Never force, instead reinforce
To learn more about the care and support we can provide to people with Alzheimer's and dementia in the home, contact our local office today.