April Is Autism Awareness Month In Scottsdale, Arizona
What Is Asperger Syndrome?
Asperger syndrome, or Asperger’s, is a previously used diagnosis on the autism spectrum. In 2013, it became part of one umbrella diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 (DSM-5).
Typical to strong verbal language skills and intellectual ability distinguish Asperger syndrome from other forms of autism.
It generally involves:
- Difficulty with social interactions
- Restricted interests
- Desire for sameness
- Distinctive strengths
Strengths can include:
- Remarkable focus and persistence
- Aptitude for recognizing patterns
- Attention to detail
Challenges can include:
- Hypersensitivities (to lights, sounds, tastes, etc.)
- Difficulty with the give and take of conversation
- Difficulty with nonverbal conversation skills (distance, loudness, tone, etc.)
- Uncoordinated movements, or clumsiness
- Anxiety and depression
The tendencies described above vary widely among people. Many learn to overcome their challenges by building on strengths. Though the diagnosis of Asperger syndrome is no longer used, many previously diagnosed people still identify strongly and positively with being an “Aspie.”
Recommended therapies and services
Find the following services near you using the Autism Speaks Resource Guide of Arizona.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy can help address anxiety and other personal challenges.
- Social skills training classes can help with conversational skills and understanding social cues.
- Speech therapy can help with voice control.
- Physical and occupational therapy can improve coordination.
- Psychoactive medicines can help manage associated anxiety, depression and attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
For More History About The Background of Autism Please Click Here
BrightStar Care of Scottsdale Can help with Elder and Child Special Need Services.
At BrightStar Care® of Greater Scottsdale, we know that babies, infants, and children living with disabilities and special needs have unique care requirements. Our compassionate and experienced care professionals specialize in administering in-home care and can provide comprehensive case management and support for children living with disabilities and special needs such as autism, spina bifida, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and cerebral palsy.
Our goal as care professionals is to ensure that children with disabilities and special needs are receiving the care they need and the support they deserve.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Bath visits
- Oral and personal hygiene
- Reporting conditions and changes to supervisory RN and/or Physician
BrightStar Care can also provide pediatric nursing care for more advanced medical needs as well as administer a wide range of therapies such as speech, physical, and autism therapy.
For More Information Please Click Here
BrightStar Care of Scottsdale provides a full continuum of in home care services comprised of companionship, personal care, special needs care, transportation, medication assistance, skilled nursing and more to improve clients’ health and quality of life.
To learn more about our local team of caregivers, skilled healthcare professionals, and home health care support for Arizona families and businesses – Click Here